John 4:34 (KJV)
Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.
1. Not only is Jesus our Lord and Savior, but He is also our example.
will - Gk - thelēma - a determination, to actively choose
a. special purpose or decree
b. desire, to bring pleasure to
work - Gk - ergon - to toil (hard labor)
a. the act of doing
John 4:34 (MSG)
Jesus said, “The food that keeps me going is that I do the will of the One who sent me, finishing the work he started.
2. Jesus is showing us that there are two things that were required of Him:
#1. do the will of the One who sent Me
#2. finishing the work He started
3. It’s easy to confuse the difference between God’s will and God’s work.
a. most believers do not know the difference
b. so we must ask ourselves what is the difference
4. The will of God is found in His Word.
a. and it is the same for everyone
#1 God’s will for the lost:__________________________________
2 Peter 3:9 (KJV)
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
5. His will is that no one goes to hell since He has already taken care of our sins.
#2 God’s will for the believer:_______________________________
Hebrews 6:1 (NLT)
So let us stop going over the basic teachings about Christ again and again. Let us go on instead and become mature in our understanding. Surely we don’t need to start again with the fundamental importance of repenting from evil deeds and placing our faith in God.
6. God’s will is for us to grow in His Word and become mature.
Hebrews 6:2 (NLT)
You don’t need further instruction about baptisms, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment.
7. His will is for us: a. to be filled with the Holy Spirit
b. receive healing c. be guided by His Spirit
d. to prosper in our finances e. and live in His joy every day
8. God’s will is the same for everyone.
9. But the work of God is different for every Christian.
10. Allow me to show you the difference:
a. the will of God comes from His Word
b. the work of God is given to us by the leading of the Holy Spirit
1 Corinthians 12:11 (MSG)
All these gifts have a common origin, but are handed out one by one by the one Spirit of God. He decides who gets what, and when.
11. Where the Word is general and given for all, the guidance of the Holy Spirit is specific and individual.
Mark 16:15 (KJV)
And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
12. God’s Word says He has a work for us to do.
a. tell everyone about Jesus
1 Corinthians 12:4 (NLT)
There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit is the source of them all.
13. The Holy Spirit tells us which work is given to us individually.
14. God could call you to the work of:
a. evangelizing b. teaching c. helping d. missionary
15. Or, He could call you to the work of:
a. being a businessman b. doctor c. carpenter
…in order to support the work of the local church
16. NOW…Just because you know the will of God that is found in His Word…
a. …does not mean you are doing the work of God
b. His will comes before His work
c. but His will is not His work
James 4:17 (NLT)
Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it.
17. If you choose not to do the work He has called you to do
a. or if you fail to complete the work He has given you
b. God will entrust that work to someone else
2 Chronicles 16:9 (MSG)
GOD is always on the alert, constantly on the lookout for people who are totally committed to him. You were foolish to go for human help when you could have had God’s help. Now you’re in trouble—one round of war after another.”
18. The reason church folks are having so much trouble is because they walked away from their duties.
a. everything God has created has an assignment
b. God’s work will be completed on the earth
Isaiah 14:24 (NLT)
The LORD of Heaven’s Armies has sworn this oath: “It will all happen as I have planned. It will be as I have decided.
19. With or with out you, His will will be accomplished.
Acts 13:36 (KJV)
For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:
20. David completed the work God set out for him.
2 Timothy 4:7 (KJV)
I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
course - Gk - dromos - career, job, heavens assignment
21. The Apostle Paul finished his work.
John 17:4 (NLT)
I brought glory to you here on earth by completing the work you gave me to do.
22. Jesus, our example did so as well!
23. Our enemy who does not want God’s will to be accomplished on earth.
Matthew 4:8 (NLT)
Next the devil took him to the peak of a very high mountain and showed him the kingdoms of the world and all their glory.
24. If satan sees that you will give up God’s work in your life for whatever he can entice or discourage you with..he will use it.
Matthew 4:9 (NLT)
“I will give it all to you,” he said, “if you will kneel down and worship me.”
25. If winning the lottery will pull you out of church, he can make that happen.
a. only if you’re a theat to him while your in church would he do that
26. If causing medical conditions will discourage you enough so you’ll quit, he’ll do that.
27. Satan offered Jesus wealth and power over all the kingdoms of the earth in an attempt to cause Jesus to change allegiance
a. to cause Him to abort His work for God and instead, work for the kingdom of satan
28. Look at all the musicians who started out in churches but went secular.
Revelation 22:12 (MSG)
“Yes, I’m on my way! I’ll be there soon! I’m bringing my payroll with me. I’ll pay all people in full for their life’s work.
29. There is little reward in Heaven for discovering God’s will,
a. but there are many rewards in heaven for accomplishing God’s work
b. pay day is on the horizon
30. Even though:
a. prosperity and healing are the will of God
b. there are no rewards for getting rich or living healthy
31. But there ere are numerous rewards and crowns for:
a. winning souls, laying hands on the sick, ministering to the saints
b. and finishing the work God has given us to do
32. In all areas of life, there are many who start out excited but few who finish.
1 Thessalonians 2:18 (KJV)
Wherefore we would have come unto you, even I Paul, once and again; but Satan hindered us.
33. Sadly, the few who begin will never finish the work God has ordained for them.
a. they become casualties of sin, apathy and discouragement
34. To complete the work God has for you takes more than a calling.
a. calling is not enough
b. anointing is not enough
c. gifts of the Spirit are not enough
d. knowledge of the word is not enough